Knowing the right way to store foods definitely saves your foods from wasting .Here are a few ways to store common foods at home
- Rice – store rice in plastic containers rather than bags, you can put bayleaves /turmeric/ ginger in containers container rice to keep weevils away.
- Beans – Can be stored in a freezer (where there’s regular power supply); preferably in a plastic container to keep it dry.
- Blended Ogbono /egusi – Best stored in the fridge.
- Yams– should be stored away from light, in an airy place , should not be placed directly on the floor, you can place on a wooden slab.
- Potatoes – should be stored away from onions, in a cool airy place.
- Ijebu gari – To keep it dry and crunchy, store in a tightly covered nylon (ziploc) bag.
- Stockfish – can be stored in the fridge to keep insects away.
- Moi-moi leaves / ugwu leaves / ripe plantain – To increase shelf life, wrap in layers of newspaper and keep in fridge.
- Peppersoup spice / cameroon pepper/ dry red pepper – Best stored in plastic containers ; in a dry cool place, preferably in a fridge.
- Ginger – Put ginger in a ziploc bag, squeeze out air from bag, seal and place in the moist free compartment of the fridge.
- Garlic – Store in a dark,dry, well ventilated area away from from moisture and light, keep it out of the fridge, this usually makes it dry and unusable.
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.