With SunyProfit International Limited, an Export Company with track records, having core competence in the Agro Exportation business, which had really worked for us in the last two decades with a view to having lots of goodies to show for it, we hereby, ascertain that our Agric Business Department is waxing stronger the more.
SunyProfit International Limited has her operating office at:
2, Olaide Tomori Street,
Off Medical Road,
What We Do
As a matter of responsibility, SunyProfit also stands firm as an authentic Agro Commodities Sourcing Agent and Agricultural Product Sourcing Agent, who help buyers of a particular product – either foreign or local, source the same product directly from the manufactures or producers.
Wait a minute and try unveiling this hidden treasure… It is a package of opportunities that will emancipate you and the entire country into an economic procession we have long been craving for. Now, I can boldly tell you, with an hundred percent assurance, that the treasure, which is not really hidden – just that we have not tapped into it; is Agriculture and Exportation.
Among the numerous services in the agricultural business sector, coupled with our vast knowledge in the agro export industry, is Carrots Farming.
If you care to know, Nigeria has been able to utilize 34 million hectares out of her 91 million hectares of arable land. So, you can make money by planting any of the Country’s non-oil exportable products like Cocoa, Ginger, Pineapple, Garlic, Cashew nut, Sesame seed, Pear, Wheat, Rose wood, Hardwood Charcoal among others and make a lot of money.
How Does It Works
SunyProfit simply delve into farming, especially Carrots Farming, with the surplus and available viable green land in Nigeria, with a view to turning it into business from the initial primitive way of practicing it. But, here, we advanced a bit, as we start growing carrots in container, because there is need for the fruit to get closer to us and be more available all time.
We have numbers of this Carrots grown in containers, pots, terrace, among others to our credit and at the same time we plant, manage and monitor for any interested farmer.
This, SunyProfit believes it afford the country to boast of getting Carrots produce in excess for lots of food processing, while exporting the agro commodity will bring about foreign exchange, as a resultant effect for Nigeria.
Introduction To Growing Carrots In Container
Carrot is a healthy vegetable that should be added to our regular diet. Carrot belongs to the family of Apiaceae and is called Daucus Carota botanically. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, vitamin B6, niacin, and calcium. It is very good for eyes and increases the hemoglobin levels in the body. Growing carrots can be a great idea and is very easy to grow.
Carrot is a biennial plant and mainly grown for its taproot. Originally, carrot plants were grown for its leaves and seeds. Carrots are considered as root vegetable. Carrots are available in many colors though we mostly grow the orange color. The other color carrots such as purple, red, black, white and yellow can also be grown with similar kind of regular carrot growing conditions. Sometimes carrot greens are also consumed. Carrots can be grown in containers, pots, terrace, kitchen and balconies. The growing practices of indoor carrot is little different from growing outdoors. Let us discuss about growing carrots in containers.
Carrot Botanical Name: Daucus carota subsp. sativus.
Quick Facts About Carrot plantation
- Carrots have very tiny seeds and they should be planted very carefully.
- Carrots are very easy to grow.
- Carrot is hardy root plant that grows well in cool weather.
- Seeds sprout at about 1 degree.
- They need loose aerated soil which is slightly alkaline and acidic.
- Carrots are pest free when grown in containers.
- They take 50 to 100 days for harvesting.
Best Time For Growing Carrots In Container
Winter is the best season to grow carrots, Carrots takes more time to grow. Carrot is best companion plant for another vegetable that grows in winter. Carrots are also sown from late May to late July.
Best Containers For Growing Carrots In Container
Carrot grew well in all type of containers with good height and width. Ideal container size is 6 to 15 inches deep depending on the variety of carrot. The container should be 12 inches deep, and with more width so that you grow as many as the carrot. You can choose large-ish clay pots, plastic bags, window boxes, plastic containers, planter bags, glass bottles etc.
Varieties For Growing Carrots In Container
Short varieties of carrots are best for containers. There are many varieties container grown carrots they are imperator, chantenay, danvers, Exheart, Royal park and nantes etc. For container growing to select the variety that is smaller in size and has a less harvesting period.
Imperators: This variety can reach a length of 8 to 12 inches, for this variety of carrots, choose 12 inches deep containers.
Danvers: These carrots are good in taste; these carrots grow 6-7 inches long.
Nantes: These cylindrical shape carrots grow to minimum 7 inches longer. This is the best option to grow in a container.
Chantenay: These carrots cone-shaped carrots and can grow up to 5 inches long.
Some other varieties are Romeo, Paris market, Babette or Hercules etc there are even many varieties you should pick them checking size, length and harvesting time.
Propagation For Growing Carrots In Container
- Carrots are grown by using seeds or by carrot tops. Generally, carrots are grown using seeds and even they are propagated using tops.
- To grow carrots from the tops, cut the carrots tops along with the green leaves on the top. And they planted about 250 cm deep, and the root will again start growing.
- Carrots are very popular for its easy growing which doesn’t require high-quality soil and temperature sensitive. Carrots are an attractive crop that has numerous flowers.
Soil Preparation For Growing Carrots In Container
Well-drained soil is best one for carrots; soil should be very light and loose. Loose and aerated soil will help the root to grow freely. Many types of potting mixes are available in the market. If you have knowledge in preparing potting mix you can prepare it on your own. Soil should be stone free and sandy. Carrots prefer acidic and slightly alkaline soil with pH levels 5.6 to 7.7
Potting Mix with soil = soil + organic manure + perlite, all should be taken in equal compositions.
Potting Mix without soil = coco peat + organic manure + perlite + sand all are taken in equal compositions.
For these, you can add fertilizer to the potting mix.
Sowing For Growing Carrots In Container
Once the potting mix is prepared, you should select a suitable and required container. Fill the container to about 3 inches from the top with soil. Now take the carrot seeds and sprinkle on the planting bed evenly without leaving the place or can the planted in rows with spacing 15 cm from each other. And space can be thinned to about 8 cm apart once leaves start to appear. And after the sowing cover the seeds with a layer in the potting mix so that seeds should be at least ½ to ¼ inches deep from the surface. Make sure that all seeds should be covered. Once you complete the planting, water the bed regularly or alternatively.
Make sure soil is moist all the times.
Water And Temperature Requirement For Growing Carrots In Container
Water: To germinate carrot seeds, require good water level constantly. You should water the plants regularly to maintain the moisture levels in the soil. You find the moisture level in the pot by popping the finger into your pots. You should careful in maintaining the water levels and don’t make the soil dry. Once the seeds start germinating you reduce watering frequencies, at this stage, more water can lead to growth crack in carrots.
Temperature: Carrots are winter vegetables so the seeds should be planted in late May, at that time when temperature is 42 to 90 F. In general, the seeds take 10 to 20 days to germinate, in case of low temperature regions, they even take more time to germinate. The ideal temperature to grow tasty carrot is about 60 to 72 F. So, containers need complete sun for 5 to 6hours and remaining time they should be moved into the shade.
Thinning In Growing Carrots In Container
Once the carrot root starts growing, thinning should be carried out. Thinning helps for better sunlight and aeration. You should maintain 2 to 3 inches space between each plant. You should thin out the seedlings when they are 2 inches length.
Caring Tips For Growing Carrots In Container
- Make sure the container has adequate moisture. You should water the plant as per the seasonal requirements. And the container should have drainage hole that helps to drain out the excess water.
- Don’t allow the water logging in the container saucer which can restrict the root growth of carrot.
- You should feed the carrots with organic manure for every 20 days to increases the nutrition levels in the carrots.
Fertilizers: For carrots, you should use the fertilizers with low levels of nitrogen and high levels of phosphorous and potassium.
- You should Add some potting mix and organic manure during the mid-season.
- Liquid fertilizers are also preferred for every 15 days as per the seed manual.
Pests And Diseases In Growing Carrots In Container
- Rust fly is a major problem that can affect the carrots. To get secured from this you should buy a row cover and cover the plants to prevent the fly from laying legs.
- Weeds, pests and some diseases can obstruct the growth of carrots.
- But in containers, you easily control the pests. Aphids and flea beetles can also destroy the growth of carrots but even these are managed very easily.
- Carrots are also affected by fungus Sclerotiniasclerotiorum that forms a while mold to cover the carrot root. This fungus can be controlled by making sure the soil getting proper oxygen and water.
Harvesting In Growing Carrots In Container
- Harvesting time for carrots takes about 2 ½ to 3 months. Harvesting time of carrot depends upon the variety of carrot you choose. Even the climate and growing conditions also play a key role in harvesting time. So, carrots plant takes maximum 2 months of time and for baby carrots, you can harvest them early.
- Before harvesting, you should check the size of carrots, remove the dirt from the top of the root and check the size of the root.
- Now pick the selected ones and pull them gently and even sometimes they need a wiggle.
- Wash off the soil and make them eatable.
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.